The SSS Pinion Clutch is a mechanical turning gear, designed to meet the requirements of machinery where a shaft-end is not available and, therefore, an in-line turning gear drive and SSS Turning Gear Clutch cannot be fitted.
The SSS Pinion Clutch uses the well proven principles of the standard SSS Gears Clutch design:
- Engages axially on helical splines.
- Disengages automatically due to reverse torque alone.
- Has a mechanical phasing mechanism to ensure that gear teeth are in alignment before engaging.
- Is easy to install and maintain
- Is fail safe - in the event of a failure the main wheel will not be damaged.
An SSS Control unit can be supplied to allow the Pinion Clutch to engage during the rundown of the turbine alternatively the turbine can be allowed to come to rest before engaging and re-accelerating the shaft to turning gear speed.